Tuesday, November 12, 2013

My first mission arrival! (Jake!)

So wow! These last 2 days are compleatly overwhelming and we have only just made it to the orphanage. It was my first time flying (since I was 2) and I was nervous at first about the many things that could have gone wrong, but the entire journey has been flawless. Starting at the Edmonton airport it was different to be traveling internationally without mom and dad, but im in great care. We did not loose a single peice of luggage on the flight here, and no items didn't make it through security. The first flight was on a small 50 person plane, so there seemed to be an understanding that noise travels and it was a peaceful flight. The second one (it was a 757 dad, I was close enough ;P) also went well. Everything was nice (aside from the really sappy sitcoms) until the descent/landing. That's when the baby started crying a little, as well as when our ears started to pop. So a few of us had to deal with that, but we are all better now! After a night in a small motel, we drove down to the border, and after getting our tourist cards, we were in Mexico without a single interuption. It is a whole different lifestyle then I am use to. It's sad to see such poverty, but it's such a beautiful place. On the way to the orphanage we first stopped at a beach. The ocean is so beautiful here! That was a good time to unwind after the flights for a few minuets. Then we had to keep going for awhile until we hit a place called  (the blowhole) where water would come up through a small crevice in the rocks and spray up. There was a large market there as well, so I got to put all the bartering skills I learned to the test (thanks mom and dad). Well we were there, we got lunch at this nice little place. But on the way in, there was a guy with a python around his neck asking if I wanted to pet it. Well normally I wouldn't go anywhere near it, but there were little 7 year old girls petting it so my manhood was put at risk! But then before we could leave, he put the snake around mine and Hannahs necks. It was super scary, but after a few seconds it was actually really cool.  It was hard to pass up all the people who just wanted to sell something to make that little bit of money, but we went in and out again without any trouble. So at about 1:30, we left of towards the orphanage. 2 hours later, we stopped for gas, and met up with  by sheer chance! After a brief conversation, we drove down to the orphanage and had a chance to settle in. We havnt met them yet but we will after they finish church, so I am exited!! We went to this taco place while they were doing that, and there were a bunch of kids that were super young and cute!! They were selling bracelets and I descided to buy one, then another from one of the boys who was hungry, then another, then one from the cute little 2 year old girl... Needless to say, they are super cute and we stuck around and had some good laughs!! So we are about to head down to the orphanage again, and I am super pumped to start this week!!! This trip has been absolutely perfect so far!! God is more then just watching over us!! I can feel His presence at every moment so far!! Well I hope I get a chance to write again soon! 
Love ya girls mom and dad!!!

3 comments:

  1. great update - very descriptive and fun to read. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to hear and read more Jake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow!!! It sounds like your doing great, can't wait to hear more!! I am very proud of you! love you lots nana xo

    ReplyDelete